[RE-wrenches] PV shingles again

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Tue Mar 31 11:11:46 PDT 2009

We are using the Open Energy / Applied Solar Inc. roof tile, but I guess it is not a shingle technically speaking. The product is better suited to new construction (90% of our business) than retro-fits when it comes to cost. One thing that you have to remember when selling a tile product is that you are offsetting some of the cost associated with the roof, i.e. roofing material and installation. With the tile product from OE / ASI (which is actually manufactured and warranted by Suntech) it does not go on the roof, it is the roof, class A rating and everything.

To all getting ready to send me an e-mail about marketing, I am not trying to sell the product, but did help design it when I worked for them, so I have first hand experience.

Someone made a comment about running conduit from one tile to the next. We do not view this requirement the same, and do not install any type of conduit above the roof. The requirement for metal conduit states that metal conduit has to be used from the point of building "penetration" to the first disconnect.

The one advantage that I really enjoy, is that with the tile, it makes system sizing much easier as far as string Voltage is concerned. Each tile is a 6.07 Voc, so you can just add or subtract as many tiles as needed to get to the sweet spot of the inverter.

My 2 cents.

(to all, my apologies if that funky attachment comes with my e-mail that I was informed of previously, it has something to do with my remote access, and is not harmful)

Best Regards,
Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV System

Eagle Roofing Products