[RE-wrenches] Solyndra

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Thu Mar 26 06:23:46 PDT 2009

Hi Keith-  check the archives... there was some chatter on this a few months back, and the biggest concern was their "racking" system and wrench concerns about what a nice kite it could make.  Other than that I echo Bill's concerns about longevity.

This type of innovation is part of what makes us (eventually) better... but at the same time it creates confusion among the customer-base (why go solar now when there is a better/cheaper solution around the corner).  If hear here one more "...but what about nano-solar?  I heard I can just paint it on my roof..." I will pop a breaker!

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
President
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701

740.597.3111     Fax 740.597.1548
www.Third-Sun.com

Clean Energy - Expertly Installed

----- "Bill Brooks" <billbrooks7 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Keith,

Since it seems quite quiet on this subject, I have to ask why a SHARP guy like you would consider such a rounded or Solindrical technology. Actually, I have heard through the grape vine that their products have an interesting performance characteristic in that their output looks similar to a single-axis tracker—which makes sense—sounds good.

The must larger issue than the short-term performance of the product is the longevity. Nobody has a clue on that item—not even the manufacturer. I’m sure they have put it through torture tests, but the real world is a different story. Not sure they have seen the sun for more than a few years. I hope it works out for them and it becomes a viable part of the PV industry. I, for one, will be cheering from the sidelines.

Bill.