[RE-wrenches] Sunpower modules

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Mar 20 13:01:57 PDT 2009

Drake,

I have seen this often. The operating voltage drops as panels age.
MPPT depends on a higher input voltage compared to the battery
voltage. When you account for module temperature and age, the panel
may not produce enough differential voltage for the controller to
convert into power. If no boost takes place, the controller will act
like a conventual PWM controller. Good news is that if the controller
will handle the Voc, you can put the old modules in series and do a
little better job of reaching the acceptance voltage.

Yes I have sold hundreds of Blue Sky products. The IPN Pro battery
monitor is the best I have ever installed. Highly recommended.

Larry Crutcher