[RE-wrenches] Mounting system for array on a metal (delta-ribbed) roof

Jason Lombard openhandsolar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:39:17 PDT 2009

Bob,

Check out S-5's website and look for the VersaBracket and also under the tab
"How Strong and Load results" you can find the metal panel manufacturer and
see what options they have for that style. The VersaBracket has Butyl tape
on the bottom that is factory applied. I have used it before and NO leaks
ever happened.

Good Luck

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Bob Clark <bclark at solar-wind.us> wrote:

> RE-Wrenches:
>
> I am certain some of you have dealt with this situation before and can
> offer
> some sage advice.  Sorry about the long-winded description, but when one is
> limited to plain text messages, one must use a 1000 (or more) words.
>
> SITUATION - Metal building with delta-ribbed roof.  "Red" steel (the hard
> metal kind), C-beam purlins running parallel with the ridge of the roof on
> 5-foot centers.  Unirac mounting system with heavy duty rails running N-S
> from near the ridge to near the eave across the purlins (this means points
> of attachment are 5-ft. O.C. along the rails) and solar panels mounted
> across the rails in landscape mode.  The solar panels are 64.6" (1640 mm)
> long.  The array is to be mounted parallel to the roof (non-tilt).  It is
> inevitable that, if the array is to cover as much of the roof as possible
> (and also look good), that some of the attachments along the rails will
> fall
> on the crest of the metal roof ribs while others will fall in the valleys.
> When we mounted an array on a metal, delta-ribbed roof that was on a wood
> framed structure, we used Unirac hanger bolts to make the L-feet
> attachments
> come out on the same level regardless of whether it was on a rib or in a
> valley.  That way, the weight of the panel would not be resting on the rib
> (thereby forcing it flat), but on the face of the nut on the upper portion
> of the hanger bolt.  Obviously, we cannot use these hanger bolts that have
> threads on the bottom for screwing into wood beams.  WE CANNOT ACCESS THE
> UNDERSIDE OF THE ROOF, therefore, bolting the L-feet to the purlins is NOT
> an option.
>
> What can be used that will attach securely, minimize the penetration area
> of
> the attachment device (after all, there will probably be 242 points of
> attachment, which could lead to one leaky roof if not cone correctly), and
> allow rails to be at the same level regardless of whether the attachment
> points fall on a rib or in a valley?
>
> Furthermore, how can the L-feet be secured to the hardened steel, C-purlins
> when access to the underside of the roof is not possible?
>
> Bob Clark
> SolarWind Energy Systems, LLC
> bclark at solar-wind.us

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Jason Lombard
Open Hand Solar LLC.
Certified Sustainable Building Adviser
www.openhandsolar.com
505 795 8646

“I'd put my money on solar energy… I hope we don't have to wait 'til oil and
coal run out before we tackle that.”

—Thomas Edison