[RE-wrenches] Lightning protection system

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 21:04:04 PDT 2009

If the lightning pulse is 10,000 amps and I want to limit it to 1000 volts I need less than 1/10 ohm.  I guess that 1 ohm would be ok?  yes even here in minnesota often strikes come before rain.

I have used two types of meter, Fall of potential and clamp type. Fall of potential meters use two ground rods one at 100 feet away and one at 40? feet away, and your ground rod.  They can measure to .01 ohm.  the other type requires two ground rods, or a well or water pipe and a ground rod. you clamp the meter like an amprobe around the wire and it induces a current and measures the amount of current induced.