[RE-wrenches] Chimneys Rigid vs EMT

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 7 10:19:02 PST 2009

Peter,

Inspectors in Southern California and elsewhere see, on all kinds of
buildings, properly installed roof-mounted conduit crushed, broken, and with
fittings pulled apart after the installation is completed by clumsy,
ignorant unskilled people on the roof. I'm not defending inspectors who make
arbitrary judgments. I'm just pointing out that unknowing people and jerks
will step on your conduit and screw it up. Add a written up-charge to your
proposals and contracts when rigid is required.

I think most wrenches will agree that fastening anything (wire, conduit,
antennas, etc.) to chimneys and vent pipes is convenient but unwise.

Joel Davidson