[RE-wrenches] Backup generator labor

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 08:07:23 PST 2009

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the reply. I hope you don't mind me posting it on the wrenches list.

Your experience matches mine. The genset were already installed before the owner contacted me about PV. If the owner has any money left after buying land and building a house with genset power, then buying PV or wind is a no-brainer. Even just adding batteries and an inverter to a lightly loaded genset reduces run-time and gives the homeowner some quiet power at night.

I know some RE contractors who let the homeowner do the genset themselves to avoid having to deal with it. Still, they get a lot of calls because the owner has trouble synchronizing the inverter and battery charger with the genset. A real point of frustration for non-tech homeowners.

Joel Davidson