[RE-wrenches] Taxability of REC payments to homeowners in New Mexico??

Cary Lane cary at energyconcepts.net
Fri Feb 27 22:06:15 PST 2009

Hi Randy,

Here is the response from my accountant in New Mexico:

Cary,
I would agree that some portion of the PV system should be depreciable if the income it generates is taxable.  First, it might be that the credits are not taxable, since they are given to encourage energy efficiency.  You'll need to wait and see how IRS rules on it.  Second, if the credits are taxable, I haven't figured out what % of the PV system would be depreciable, since this whole arrangement is somewhat convoluted.
Ray