[RE-wrenches] Efficient water softener?

robert ellison reellison at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:28:53 PST 2009

I just pluged my Sears Water softner into the Brand Power meter and the
electronics draws a hefty 1 (one) watt, the motor draws 4 (four) watts to
turn the selector gear but it only continues it for 15 seconds or so at a
time.
I have been out of the country and have not gotten the water back running
yet but I doubt it will change the numbers at all.

The biggest draw is the water pump running to feed the recharge cycle. That
is substancial if not an efficent pump but the softner draw is minimal. Make
sure you get one that uses a water meter as well as a timer. That way it can
be set to recharge at night and only when needed. It will not eat anywhere
near as much salt as my old Culligan softner did.

Later,
Bob

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:30 PM, David Palumbo <dave at independentpowerllc.com