[RE-wrenches] Point of connection

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:09:18 PST 2009

Hi Keith,

Many of the mainlanders opt for a "supply-side" interconnection (tap service
conductors between meter and main breaker). There are a number of touchy
issues with this method if it's in a single box, and it certainly isn't a "1
size fits all" kinda thing. In case nobody has said it on the list yet, I'll
go ahead with the prediction that we are likely to see this method become a
lot more rare in the future... Unless of course, your local PV installer has
a UL Listed sticker in his back pocket...

In most cases, my preferred option is to install a main breaker with a lower
rating... i.e. Replace the existing 200 Amp breaker with a 150 Amp breaker.
Be sure that the maximum continuous load of the residence does not exceed
80% of the new main breaker.  (80% x 150A = 120A max continous load) This
example gives you up to 90A of PV Breaker capacity on a 200A buss.

The vast majority of homes with 200A services don't come anywhere near 120A
continous. There are some that do, so make sure you understand their big
electric loads and how they use them. Otherwise, you can upgrade the
service, as you mentioned.

Aloha,
Matt Lafferty
gilligan06 at gmail.com