[RE-wrenches] Galvanic compatibility of commonly usedsolar materials

Wind-sun.com windsun at wind-sun.com
Sun Feb 1 22:38:17 PST 2009

Something we found out over 20 years ago is that you have to be extremely
careful about how you ground DC systems, especially if there is any other
metal of any type in the vicinity in or on the ground. We have seen it
destroy underground pipes and even metal fence posts.

You can get stray currents from things you never even imagined, and that
current is what causes a lot of the galvanic corrosion.  In one case a
system, and after about 5 years it was almost totally destroyed - just lucky
the tank was not used for anything but water.

To be doubly safe, best to light up the system and actually put a digital
amp meter in series with the ground wire(s). Clamp on ammeters may not work,
as sometime the current is only a few to a few hundred ma. Sometimes you can
get stray currents to objects you thought were isolated.

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Electricity From The Sun
Solar Discussion Forum: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/