[RE-wrenches] Battery Automatic Watering

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Thu Dec 10 11:11:41 PST 2009

I've had pretty good luck with Pro-Fill from Jan Watercraft Prod. But will only use them on monster battery banks of over 40 caps or so and only after trying my best to talk the owner out of it. The most important factor with these is to NEVER go fully automatic, it is imperative that a human stands watch as they open the fill valve until they close it. A stuck float can flood battery tops and cause a short that can lead to a fire. Perhaps on an EV where the cells can be a mother to get to for a smaller application. My largest battery bank has 288 cells to fill, it is just unrealistic for the owner to fill all of these manually and if they did I'm sure they would flood more battery tops then a filling system would ever do. Another pro side is that they go a long way towards minimizing battery contamination from careless filling habits.

"When you try to make something idiot proof they just come up with a better idiot"

-jeff o