[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries with reversereturn linkup

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Dec 7 11:59:00 PST 2009

This is an excellent point that Jamie is making here. On electric vehicles, we do see up to 156 vdc series strings, and even with just a single string at 48 vdc, the separate cells are not being charged equally.
Current is equal, but not the voltage across each cell.
It's alarming to see some batteries (especially sealed ones) going way over charge, while others are undercharged. The controller only sees that the total voltage is at full charge, and then shuts off. I've pulled individual batteries out to charge separately. I think we really need smarter charging systems (similar to Li ion) that shutoff individual batteries or small groups to allow others to fully charge without overcharging others.
Just imagine seeing a new expensive sealed 12 v battery hitting 16.5 v, while others are still below 13.5v. It'll make you sick to your stomach, hearing it gas, when it's not supposed to.
HIgher charge currents make the problem worse.
Here's a regulator from Manzanita Micro that can do it:
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=46&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64
I've worked with Rich Rudman there for years; he's very knowledgeable and good to work with. It might be a good idea, especially on large sealed batteries.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer