[RE-wrenches] large array conduit runs

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 10:24:28 PST 2009

Jeff

EMT is fine on the roof. Rigid will add weight to the roof, as well as increase your labor costs to install it.

My take away from the Target project after reading the report was they did not use the correct fittings. Coupled with long conduit runs and perhaps not using junction boxes and providing loops in the box to address expansion and contraction contributed to the incident. It is like a plane crash- it is usually not one thing that makes the plane crash, but a series of events that leads to the demise of a situation. It seems the same goes for the Target project.

If any of you have ever driven over a bridge and have sat in traffic, sometimes you get visually exposed to the conduit runs, and the expansion fittings. You will also see junction boxes, with generous loops of wire to address the expansion and contraction that occurs.

Also, the temp derate on 310-15-B-2-C has a table for exposed conduits on the roof; 310-16 & 310-17 should be reviewed.

Keith