[RE-wrenches] 690.32(E) + MC?

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Sat Dec 5 07:45:40 PST 2009

I believe that in a Code Corner back in the '05 era, John Wiles had said
that MC cable was OK to use, then in a later Code Corner he says that it
isn't; I thought it was because part of the reason for a metal raceway
is physical protection, and EMT/FMC would be sturdier than MC. But then
I looked at the 2011 Code, which (as it currently stands) will allow MC:

(E) Direct-Current Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits Inside a
Building. Where dc photovoltaic source or output circuits from a
building-integrated or other photovoltaic system are run inside a
building or structure, they shall be contained in metal raceways, Type
MC metal clad cable that complies with 250.118(10), or metal enclosures,
from the point of penetration of the surface of the building or
structure to the first readily accessible disconnecting means. The
disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A), (B), and (D). [ROP 4-228]

The new 690.31(E) is about ten times longer than the '08 edition, now
requiring the conduit to be >10" below the surface of the roof (to avoid
firefighting equipment venting the roof) and labeling along that conduit
too:
http://www.solarabcs.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=248&&Itemid=72

And to save you a lookup:
250.118 Types of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
The equipment grounding conductor run with or enclosing the circuit
conductors shall be one or more or a combination of the following:
(10) 	Type MC cable where listed and identified for grounding in
accordance with the following:
a. 	The combined metallic sheath and grounding conductor of interlocked
metal tape–type MC cable
b. 	The metallic sheath or the combined metallic sheath and grounding
conductors of the smooth or corrugated tube-type MC cable