[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries with reverse return linkup

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Fri Dec 4 13:55:09 PST 2009

Yes, the bus bar technique will always add 1 cable and 2 connection points. And extra cost.

As far as I can see and from what I have read in this thread, the only advantage to the bus bar method is absolutely equal interconnection resistances for all the strings. Maybe this advantage is only be useful for those that put many strings of batteries in parallel. Not so important when one has only 2-3 strings, the max that most folks recommend.

But if appropriately large enough cable is used in a conventional cabling method for 2-3 strings, my gut says the resistance differences should be marginalized to the point of irrelevance.

As Kent points out, internal resistance is a differentiating factor which cannot be fully controlled, a factor of greater concern that seems to further marginalize the value of bus bars and equal cable lengths.

To me, this discussion seems really important. The opinions here are varied, but if the results are real, significant, and verifiable, we will all want to become proponents of this method.

Jamie, Rob, & Tom: Have there been any studies done comparing those two techniques, or is this something that has been passed down over generations in the battery industry?

(BTW, my very first bank of batteries was situated such that I bolted the string ends directly to pieces of copper flat stock, 1 for each string polarity -- no cables, except  to the load. The best of all worlds, I suppose.)