[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries with reverse return linkup

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 09:59:12 PST 2009

Hi Kent,

I am sorry but I disagree with your conclusion that it only keeps the
wire resistances the same for 2 strings.  This diagonal system, which
I believe many people would call 'reverse return' in the states,
actually provides for exactly equal resistance on all paths to all
strings.  Each time you add a link in the positive path you remove
one in the negative path.  I admit that the voltage drops will be
very slightly different due to different currents in the various
links but the differences now are so tiny that I would not worry
about them.

I agree that you will get imbalances in multiple battery strings at
times - usually during periods of prolonged low winds.  But you
cannot persuade me that multiple strings 'don't work right' because
they are used in most of the systems I work with since the 1970s.  I
see just as much sulphation in large capacity cells as I do in small
capacity cells (in multiple parallel strings).  I would say that
going from 12-volts on up to 48-volt systems has caused me a lot more
headaches with unequal battery states than paralleling a lot of
batteries has.  Batteries connected in parallel will tend to take
what they need.  Connected in series they take what they are given.
Also, a cell failure in a 12-volt system attracts attention at once,
whereas a cell failure in a 48-volt system can be overlooked for much
longer.

There are plenty of points of view about batteries :-)  Part of it is
the difference in mentality between solar users (who count out the
amp hours and know exactly what they have to work with each day) and
wind users (who can party like mad sometimes and then have nothing at
other times).

Hugh

--
Hugh Piggott