[RE-wrenches] Enphase track record

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 12:19:26 PST 2009

Hello wrenches:
    Enphase is an excellent, reliable product, with many advantages, but a few minor bugs.  I have managed many Enphase installations, have been involved in Beta Tests with them, toured the facility, and I have attended customer feedback sessions with them.  I will give you a quick overview:
        - Being able to monitor individual module output is priceless.  Antony's experience is valid, his problem was related to the bad module.  When I do system testing, I will frequently find module issues related to a failed string of cells, on one modules.  I think this is a common problem, which is rarely found.
        - The inverters are very reliable.  I have never had a failure on an Enphase Inverter or Monitor.  At Enphase, here in Petaluma, they place the inverters in life-cycle testing beds, which apply continuous 160 degree temperatures to the units, while placed on a vibrating plate.
        - I had an inverter communication error once, and called Enphase, they connected to the monitor and uploaded the softare to it remotely, and resolved the issue.
        - The monitoring system and Enphase web-based monitoring system is easy to work with.  Enphase does all the work to set it up for you!
        - Availability has been extremely tight since late April.  They really blew it when they discontinued the 175 watt inverter, and ended up not having any replacement for months.  By then, they were really back-ordered.
        - They hired a few of the guys who made the technical support at SMA so great (Kent Sheldon, Marv Dargatz, and others.)
        - The biggest issue with using Enphase is that communication errors will occur between the modules and inverters.  Most of the time it is fine, and the inverters will continue to produce power, but the monitor will lose connection with 1 or more inverters, and the website will post 0 watts output for those modules.  Once the communications are restore, the daily and monthly outputs will be corrected, but the graphs and time-lapse show will be in-accurate.  This can lead to some customer calls, but the customers are normally accepting, because it is so impressive, it is easy to accept the occasional glitch.

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537