[RE-wrenches] Enphase track record

Nick Vida nickvida at ymail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:00:12 PST 2009

I put a temperature probe under the modules almost every job, and it is always
drastically lower than the module itself. A frying module at 130 might have an
ambient temperature underneath in its shade of 89 degrees. the specifics are
always surprisingly low relative to touching the panel and how your face feels
up there.

Nick

Can anyone think of a more brutal environment for a piece of electronic
equipment than under a solar module which day in and day out experiences the
elements and temperatures of 130+ plus F?

Despite any so-called accelerated life-cycle testing and estimated mean time
to failure probabilities, nothing takes the place of actual time cooking
under solar arrays.

Having seen my fair share of controller and inverter manufacturers come and
go out of business in 30+ years in the RE field, I'll be watching with great
interest the great Enphase experiment unfold.

And ever heard of the word "recall"?  Swapping a central inverter or two is
one thing.  Imagine doing it with the X number of microinverters you
installed six months or two years ago...

But hey, other than my Eeyore-sounding words above, aren't Enphase inverters
so cool with all that they can do?

marco in Hawaii

A while back there was a discussion about the reliability of Enphase
inverters.  As I understand, they have been selling like hot cakes, so a lot
must be installed.  Some sort of track record must be emerging.

Has the promised reliability of these inverters been met?  Can they be
connected to a rail, under a large array without worry that the unit will
need to be dug out and replaced?  Should the inverters be located in an
attic or other accessible location.

Thanks,

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric