[RE-wrenches] Fw: Evergreen

Jeff Clearwater jeffc at villagepower.com
Thu Nov 5 07:26:54 PST 2009

Hi All,

We've installed over 200 KW of Evergreens here in western MA.  I
would not at all characterize the frames as "pretty flimsy" and a
visit to the Evergreen factory - as well as the engineering data on
the psf ratings for various mounting configurations show that they
are a 65 psf module.   The frames might at first glance appear a
little flimsier than others as they now use a stamped fit corner
rather than screws like some other modules and like the original
Evergreens - but in my mind that might well mean an improvement in
strength like they claim it is.

There are many MWs of Evergreens all over New England and New York
state holding up fine in 3-4' of snow.  A look at the installation
manual shows the psf ratings under various install configurations
(something few module manufacturers provide).

We did find early Evergreens to be out of square by an average of
1/8"  but the latest series we have not seen that at all.

On a political and business level, Evergreen is well supported in the
Northeast due to both the MA rebate program giving incentive to MA
businesses - both in the rebate adders and in loan support.  Now that
they are having some financial difficulties and grown a good bit, it
makes sense they are looking to take advantage of non-U.S.
manufacturing but they are still a U.S. employer with plants here in
MA and OR.

We also like supporting them because they use 1/3 the silicon of
other polycrystal modules for very nearly the same performance due
the string ribbon manufacturing process.  They are on the lower to
medium end of the large pack of modules we characterize as "low to
medium efficiency" on an area basis.  But they are only a few
percentage points below most on that front. (10.5-11 watts/ft2
(PTC-DC))

The high voltage we find great in terms of flexibility of string
size.  The long strings (14-22) do mean more susceptibility to
shading effects so we tend to shy away from them on small systems
(less than 3.6 KW) with shady sites but they are great for no shade
sites or larger systems.

Don't judge a "native son" for going abroad.  Like others have
pointed out - they are still largely a U.S. company and an
independent - not owned by an oil company  - and Alan King and team
at Evergreen have been strong allies in promoting the U.S. solar
market and great to work with.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jeff C.