[RE-wrenches] "Name that solar module" guessing game!

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Thu Oct 22 20:43:57 PDT 2009

Mick,
The predecessor to the K-51 was the J-51 which had round Jboxes as you
describe. They were located about 1/3rd of the way down from the edge
of the module. Before those were the J48 and before those were the
J45. That would be circa 1988-1994. Haven't seen any recently, but I
recall the EVA would brown right in front of the Jbox. Looked like a
coffee cup stain. Dunno about the yellowing.
Quite a few of us old grey beards sold them for some time back in the
days when Al Panton ran Kyocera US. Then they had a bright idea, got
into bed with Photocomm exclusively and quite selling directly to us.
Japanese marketing 101. Pissed everybody off and worked out so well
for Kyo that they had to eventually take over PComm to keep it from
going under.
Bonus points AND a history lesson!
Cheers, Bob-O