[RE-wrenches] Outback FNDC relay, Flex Net Review

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Oct 14 14:28:28 PDT 2009

Kent:

The manual is not clear as to how this is done.  Have you considered using
a relay in an FX inverter to activate the generator as is done in a system
without the Flex Net?

Interesting about the SMA claim, but until I hear otherwise, this is just a
claim.

William

At 01:25 PM 10/14/2009, you wrote:
>William,
>
>In all of these systems, the Mate's AGS system is being used to control
>the FNDC's relay.  The Mate's AGS port has been selected so that it
>operates the FNDC's relay rather than using the Aux output on the
>inverter.  The FNDC is providing SOC info to the Mate, but isn't directly
>controlling the relay.
>
>I agree with you about the potential to confuse customers.  And about the
>inaccuracy of battery amp-hour meters in general.  But it is interesting
>that SMA's main claim about the Sunny Island is that it does the best job
>managing batteries.  It does it by keeping track of the battery's SOC.
>

>William Miller wrote:
>>Kent:
>>
>> >From the Flex Net DC manual, page 16:  "OutBack strongly recommends
>> using the AGS function of the MATE to control a generator."   I assume
>> from your post, you are using the Auto mode to have the relay control a
>> generator, a practice that the above quotation recommends against.  This
>> may relate directly to your problems.
>>
>>I have no experience with the Flex Net but I took this opportunity to
>>review the manual more thoroughly than I have previously.  My conclusion
>>is that the Flex Net is a great tool for the technically inclined but
>>offers a minimal convenience for the lay person.  The State of Charge
>>function may be a more realistic method of determining actual state of
>>charge, but if it operates at all like the E-meter or the Tri-Metric, it
>>is prone to inaccuracy.  The variables associated with individual battery
>>banks, particularly as they age, make accurate calibration a moving
>>target.  Overall, the Flex net has the potential to increase customer
>>confusion with a proliferation of synoptic (overly succinct) menus.
>>
>>Again, I call on the technicians in the industry to create a user
>>interface with the lay person in mind.  See previous rant.
>>
>>I may find I recommend this system for remote locations so I can poll
>>statistics and interpret for the client, but I will not train a client on
>>the use of this unless he or she is particularly inclined.
>>
>>Anyone else have an opinion on the Flex net system?
>>
>>William Miller
>>

>>At 12:13 PM 10/14/2009, you wrote:
>>>Has anyone besides me had problems using the relay in the Outback
>>>FNDC?  I've had three different customers report that their generators
>>>failed to turn off.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Kent Osterberg
>>>Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
>>><http://www.bluemountainsolar.com/>www.bluemountainsolar.com
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org

>06:33:00

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: william at millersolar.com
http://millersolar.com
License No. C-10-773985