[RE-wrenches] Outback FNDC relay, Flex Net Review

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Oct 14 12:54:05 PDT 2009

Kent:

 From the Flex Net DC manual, page 16:  "OutBack strongly recommends using
the AGS function of the MATE to control a generator."   I assume from your
post, you are using the Auto mode to have the relay control a generator, a
practice that the above quotation recommends against.  This may relate
directly to your problems.

I have no experience with the Flex Net but I took this opportunity to
review the manual more thoroughly than I have previously.  My conclusion is
that the Flex Net is a great tool for the technically inclined but offers a
minimal convenience for the lay person.  The State of Charge function may
be a more realistic method of determining actual state of charge, but if it
operates at all like the E-meter or the Tri-Metric, it is prone to
inaccuracy.  The variables associated with individual battery banks,
particularly as they age, make accurate calibration a moving
target.  Overall, the Flex net has the potential to increase customer
confusion with a proliferation of synoptic (overly succinct) menus.

Again, I call on the technicians in the industry to create a user interface
with the lay person in mind.  See previous rant.

I may find I recommend this system for remote locations so I can poll
statistics and interpret for the client, but I will not train a client on
the use of this unless he or she is particularly inclined.

Anyone else have an opinion on the Flex net system?

William Miller