[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island DC Load Centers, Sealed Batteries

Walt Ratterman wratterman at sunenergypower.com
Wed Oct 7 18:26:16 PDT 2009

Hello Kirpal,

Walt Ratterman here.  I can respond to at least the first part.

In Burundi, we used three 5 KW Sunny Island 5048's in a three phase
configuration.

For all of the DC and AC breakers, wireways, etc., etc., we used the Outback
Flexware equipment.

We put the DC on the bottom and the AC on the top.  Due to the width of the
SI's, we used 2 - FW1000 systems to do this.  (And I am glad - we actually
needed all of the wiring space.  I think it would work really well for your
system.

Of course, there may be some other good choices that I would be anxious to
learn about as well.

You can see some good photos of this installation at our photo gallery -
linked form our Home Page at www.sunepi.org.  Click on the cover for the
photos for the Burundi / Kigutu / Village Health Works / SELF project.

Feel free to holler if you need any specifics on how we did anything here.

OH - on your other question.I have no experience on large sealed banks, but
Rolls now has AGM's that start at T-105 size, include the 8G8D sizes, and
then go all the way up to 2V 3300 Ah.

Thanks!!

Walt