[RE-wrenches] orientation data

Mendocino Solar Service msolar at mcn.org
Tue Oct 6 14:58:38 PDT 2009

I think what's needed is a way to analyze the financial output related
to orientation, not just kwh. Unlike with off-grid systems, grid-tied
is all about financial results. For a customer on TOU and net
metering, the time value of the kwh produced is quite important. A
west facing array will have peak performance in the afternoon when the
system can sell at the peak rate; even though it may produce fewer kwh
overall, the value of them is much higher. The CSI's EPBB calculator,
flawed as it may be, seems to take this into account when calculating
the design factor on which the rebate is based. Anyone using a program
that can take time and pricing into account too?

Bruce Erickson
Mendocino Solar Service
707-937-1701
707-937-1741 fax