[RE-wrenches] Magnum Battery Charger Question

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Sun Sep 27 11:50:44 PDT 2009

Jason Lerner wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I put on an old Todd charger with Voltage regulation,  but not absorb
> and float.  I can change the voltage up or down as needed.  Changing
> out the remote is a good idea.  I do have another Magnum inverter at
> another location,  but was trying to avoid another couple trips....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason
> On Sep 27, 2009, at 9:57 AM, robert ellison wrote:

The custom battery voltage setting mode were not always available in the
inverters, so it could be, I suppose, the rev of that
unit is not new enough.  I have heard of an instance this was a problem
with a system.   It doesn't warn you that this feature
is not available of course, just because the remote has it built in.

OR, maybe the unit is just defective?  Hard to see why it would do this,
but maybe...

Also, it may not be widely known that when  AC is first applied to the
Magnum inverter for charging, if the battery  is
already above a certain voltage, (float ?), it will not enter the
Bulk/Absorb cycle.  The battery voltage must be below a certain voltage
while plugging it into the AC before it will Bulk/Absorb.  I don't think
this is your particular problem though, as we've
already discussed that possibility off line.

boB