[RE-wrenches] 14 PV-Powered Fans- best method?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Sep 14 08:16:37 PDT 2009

Did Nextek Power take over production of the DC ceiling fans from Foster
Hankins of Rocky Creek Hydro? One might assume, because those are the same
product with similar product names.

Addressing Dave's question: If each fan is fed through a breaker, the energy
through that breaker would be determined by how the load behaves on your
supplied DC voltage. If one of the fans were to drop out so it's no longer
than before...and yes, the other fans would then spin faster and draw more
amperage. I can see how Dave's cascading breaker interrupt scenario could
develop...but this should be easy to avoid.

Suggestions:

(a) Make sure that your open circuit PV voltage is not too high for even a
solitary fan to run OK. This is because the solar module may operate close
to OCV if it is big relative to the load.

(b) Hook up that solitary fan to the module and measure the amp draw before
you choose the value for the circuit breakers. Choose the breaker rating a
bit higher than measured current, of course, so you don't get nuisance
trip-outs.

Final note: Since a solar array is current limited by its very nature, the
circuit breakers may be acting more like on-off switches instead of
overcurrent devices. As you do the math you could find that a single fan
motor with its feed wires could handle the short circuit PV amps forever
without heating up.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675