[RE-wrenches] Solar 12 volt DC lighting for school in Haiti

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 23 15:17:53 PDT 2009

hey Lee,  It appears as though Haiti is a popular place.  I returned yesterday along with six students from IIT from a very similar project. Our system is 24V as they had a 24V inverter that was donated. Our rooms were ~ 24'X24' with ceilings of ~ 10 feet. We used CFL's (20VAC) as they appear to be readily available in Haiti. The lighting, as designed, was about twice what we needed.
 One "must-do" tip: make certain that the modules are THEFT-PROOF.  If you would like more info including some pics, please contact me off-list.best luck,Tom

Can anyone recommend lights for a school in Haiti.  I
am going there in a couple of months to install a 12 volt solar PV
system and need to illuminate seven 16 x 20 foot school rooms.  I am so confused by all of the light bulb options, base options, CFL vs LED, what wattage is required, etc.  I would expect that two fixtures with bulbs would suffice for a room.  Any ideas?

There is no grid power available…this is really out in the boondocks.

Thanks
Lee
--
Lee Bristol
NABCEP Certified Solar Designer/Installer

Chief Technology Officer
Standard Solar, Inc.
202 Perry Parkway, #7
Gaithersburg, MD 20877