[RE-wrenches] power factor

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Aug 20 01:51:47 PDT 2009

Brian Teitelbaum wrote:
> boB,
>
> Not only does that make sense, it's the best explanation of the effect of power factor on an off-grid system that I've read.
>
> I would than assume that this means that Drake's refrigerator is actually consuming more power from his battery system than is just measured in AC watts at the fridge. Some energy is lost as heat in the inverter system while the fridge is running, at least more than would be if the fridge had a higher power factor. I would also assume that measuring the DC amperage in the battery cables, and subtracting the "normal" inverter losses, would give a more accurate reading of the Fridge's true running watts.
>
> There are a number of plug-in products on the market that are supposed to improve power factor, apparently through added capacitance. How would they work here, or would they?

Great question and I'm not sure I have a good answer.

You would have to modify the refrigerator itself to make it have a
higher power factor, and I would hope that the appliance manufacturer
has designed it to work as
good as it can.  Are those high efficiency refrigerators power factor
corrected though, since Europe requires power factor close to 1.0 and
the good ones
are also used there ?

I've seen many discussions about those power factor correction units for
home use, and I think the consensus is that they really don't help much,
if at all....
...Mainly because the homeowner only pays for real power.

I think that the higher the inverter efficiency, the better it will work
with lower PF loads, because it has to keep its AC source impedance low when
powering that refrigerator (or whatever), because it has  to circulate
and "slosh" around those reactive currents.

Lower resistance  =equals=  higher efficiency,  =equals=  better low
power factor performance,  is one way to look at that.

Adding extra and opposite reactance  for power factor correction is
something that utilities do at large reactive consumers such as steel
mills.  It makes sense for that
type of power usage.   BTW, if the primary power factor is low because
of big inductive loads, they add capacitors, and if capacitive, they add
inductors to pull the power
factor  back towards 1.0.  At least that's the "passive" method that I'm
familiar with for low Displacement Power Factor, (DPF).

But what happens if you have all that passive PF correction in place,
and all of a sudden the load reduces or goes resistive ? Then you're left
with a nice low power factor load again.  (I think they take that into
account and make it average out).

Then, there's active, electronic PFC.    I probably won't be around to
see, but I bet that high temperature
superconductors will play a big roll in reducing all losses.

boB