[RE-wrenches] utility line voltage issues

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 09:04:46 PDT 2009

William and others,

The standard requirement in IEEE929 and IEEE1547 that is tested in UL1741 is
+10%/-12%. Admittedly, some utilities, particularly in more rural areas, may
get close to these limits at times. Just for a little history lesson that
very few people know about, this happens to be a very hard fought and won
battle. Initially when IEEE929 (the original PV interconnection document)
was being written, utilities wanted inverters to trip at +/- 5%. Realizing
that this would be a death blow to the PV industry, several of us worked on
the justification for why that did not make sense. We finally won when a key
utility engineer got on our side and the proper limits went into place. The
standard also recognizes that special locations, like island grids (Hawaii)
and other remote grid areas may need even wider ranges to handle typical
fluctuations. Widening voltage windows of the inverter requires utility
permission.

The voltage limits we have now are good, but most people don't understand
the rest of the story. As was mentioned in the post, most PV inverters do
not trip at their actually limits, they typically trip a few percent inside
those limits (+8%/-10%). This is due to the difficulty of measuring ac
voltage accurately, and the penalty within UL1741, the test standard, if you
fail one of these limit tests. Since there is no penalty in the standard for
tripping early, but a large penalty for tripping late, inverter
manufacturers constrain their limits so that they trip within the limits
every time, even if their transducers are at the maximum offset allowed.

That is why it is so important for installers to try to stay within 1%
voltage drop on the ac side. Since the utilities are allowed to go to the
limits of +/-5% routinely (ANSI Range B), and outside that range for "short"
periods of time (a few hours is short compared to 8760 hours), a 3% voltage
drop will cause inverter tripping that is not the utility's fault--it is the
installers fault.

I'm not defending the utilities, but having responded to dozens of utility
voltage complaints, I can say that 80-90% of the complaints were the
installer's fault in having too high a voltage drop in their inverter output
circuits. The legitimate issue is that PV inverters are one of the only
things on the residential utility system that reacts to bad voltage. We are
now placing tens of thousands of voltage sensors on the utility grid, and
they will find bad places. The key is to be part of the solution, not part
of the problem--keep your ac voltage drop low. For every voltage drop dollar
you spend on the dc side of your design, you should put $2 toward the ac
side voltage drop--it is at least twice as important because it may
determine whether or not the system runs.

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering
873 Kells Circle