[RE-wrenches] Seasonal Adjusters

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Thu Aug 13 11:25:47 PDT 2009

I realize your client is set on doing this, but I installed adjusting tilt racking on the 5 kW solar array I installed on my home over 15 years ago and I can tell you after the first year of adjusting these heavy sections I finally selected an average position and they have not moved in 14 years.

I know there is a drop in the "calculated" performance between my fixed mount and a semi-yearly tilt adjustment, but when you take into account all the variations in weather, temperature, cloud cover, system load, and battery state of charge, which are not under our control, will impact system performance far more than this tilt concern.

I say pick the best tilt angle that matches the season of year that has the most system loading and forget about installing a high cost adjustable mounting that most likely will never be used.

Jeff Yago