[RE-wrenches] down-sizing main breaker

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Aug 2 07:22:36 PDT 2009

William,

Wow - you're a master at whipping up drawings!

OK, I get the concept, and it's just as I described. The scenarios in
drawings one and two are OK as long as both busbars are rated 150A
(commercial) or 125A (residential.

You then show that the reason for the upsized feeders is to handle a short.
But wait! Even if the short could produce 140A, as you have indicated, the
conductors will still not carry more than the 100A that they're rated to
carry. One would carry 100A from one panel and 40A from the other, Nowhere
would that conductor carry 140A, and the mate to it would carry at most 60A.
Increasing conductor size wouldn't change anything in that (or any)
scenario. So why would you have to increase conductor size?

Thanks, Allan

  _____