[RE-wrenches] Magnum inverters (not really a power factor issue)

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Aug 1 20:43:35 PDT 2009

The next time I'm up there I'll take another tech with me, plenty of
meters and go through every DC and AC connection (they all looked good
first time around) to try and get to the bottom of the problem prior to
taking a harder look at Magnum. I have to say, though, that I have heard
a couple of comments that tend to suggest that the inverter might turn
out to be one logical place to look. I like these inverters a lot, and I
really hope that we find some other issue.

To replay the symptoms, there is no audible or visual (as in motor
starter noises or dimming light) indication that the pump is attempting
to do anything other than sit there when inverter voltage is connected
to it. When the genny power is applied, there is a discernable working
under a load sound from the engine, and the pump works. I only had the
homeowner's lousy dime store anaglog meter to work with, but the voltage
from the inverter was right on 120 volts per leg. When I checked phase
to phase I also only got 120 - that's kind of weird, but it might simply
be the meter. All the household loads run flawlessly (but this is a
pretty fundamental cabin, so the TV and DVD player are the most exotic
things plugged in. The run to the pump is adequately sized - - - - - in
other words, it all seems run of the mill, except that the pump only ran
successfully one time and not on any further attempts. Golly..

Matt