[RE-wrenches] Meggers.

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 10:21:33 PDT 2009

Jay,

I bought two insulation testers (Megger is a brand name) in April. A used
Fluke 1520 off Ebay for $275 and a new inexpensive (cheap) insulation tester
on Amazon (Electronic Specialties 550 Insulation Tester for $162). Both work
fine. The Fluke has better accuracy that I need for very specialized "field
wet resistance testing" (FWRT). However, the cheap tester works great for
finding faults in conductors and severe faults in modules.

I bought both to determine if a cheap meter would work and the answer is
YES. The key is performing the tests properly and safely which requires test
procedures. The other key to actually use the tester. Several people own
these devices, but never use them. They should be used on every installation
after the wire is installed to determine if any wire damage is visible to
the tester. Even though this will not solve all field mistakes, it will
catch the marginal problems that may be too small to be detected by the GFP
circuit in the inverter.

Bill.