[RE-wrenches] Starting 3/4 Sub Pump (was Power Factor)

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Jul 30 17:31:16 PDT 2009

Allan Sindelar wrote:
> Matt and boB,
> This is only somewhat relevant, but may help:
> A few days ago, on initial bootup of a new system with a Magnum MS4024AE, we
> easily ran a 1HP submersible at nearly 500' head plus pressurizing (single
> pump system). However, this was a Grundfos SQ, so the soft-start made it
> much easier. Steady draw was about 88ADC at 25 VDC, or around 2200 watts. I
> had cautioned the client that this combination wasn't certain to work,
> although I expected that it would.
>
> Allan Sindelar

Hmmmm....  If this is a submersible pump, how would you really know it
was trying to start or not ?
Maybe he just can't hear it trying to start, as short as that try might be ?

Yeah, I'd check the current and voltage when trying to start off the
inverter and also the generator
just for a reference point.   Sounds like a great use of a PF meter
actually.

boB