[RE-wrenches] High snow load on PV Modules

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Tue Jul 28 10:53:20 PDT 2009

When I worked for Open Energy, we installed their tile product at Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village. I do not recall what they state as the official snow load rating, but I know that the tiles can be walked on with out causing damage / glass breakage. This was one of the aspects I spent a lot of design time on to make sure high snow loads were possible. The tile has a polymer base that supports the back of the glass as opposed to traditional extruded aluminum rails that grab around the edge of the glass.

Suntech is now manufacturing and branding the tile product for Open Energy (Suntech has the licensing rights) but I do not think that they are on the CEC list yet under Suntech's name. If interested, send inquiries to solar at eagleroofing.com, or additional information and product specs can be found at http://www.openenergycorp.com or http://www.appliedsolar.com.

The product may not make economical sense if the customer is not installing a concrete roof tile roof, but it does meet the snow load rating request, so I thought I would post.

Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV Systems

Eagle Roofing Products
120 North Auburn Street - Suite 212