[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Grounding on a glacier??

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Sat Jul 25 13:03:45 PDT 2009

toddcory at finestplanet.com wrote:
> "If neither pole is grounded then both must be treated as potentially
> hot."
>
> _Only with regard to the other hot wire._ If you do not reference one
> conductor to ground than the other one will not present any danger
> unless you are referenced to its mate... as in touching both wires at
> once.
>
> Todd
Except of course, if there is more leakage (capacitive) from one
ungrounded wire to ground than the other ungrounded wire to
ground.   You may still feel a tingle... The higher the voltage, given
similar leakage, the higher the tingleage. (is that a real word?)
I am more apprehensive about touching ungrounded and live things
(although sometimes I do). People have a larger area and
therefore a higher capacitance than birds do.

This applies for AC (mainly) of course.

boB