[RE-wrenches] Tube solar collectors

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Mon Jul 20 23:15:39 PDT 2009

Joel,

We frequently will orient tube collectors on east or west facing roofs with
very good results. However, pointing a solar collector toward the south will
always produce more energy, as we all know that the greatest solar energy is
concentrated around noon.

The choice of whether to tilt comes down to efficiency, cost, and aesthetics
- and sometimes overheating issues. With a tube system care must be taken
not to oversize the collector in proportion to the tank. If a customer wants
to maximize heating throughout the year I recommend a larger collector
tilted steeply toward the winter sun angle. This not only maximizes winter
production but, more importantly, attenuates summer heat gain.

It's interesting to note that, as Apricus tubes have the collector surface
circumferentially, they will collect heat from the backside (a significant
factor during northern summers).

Another design factor is that the heat pipes must always maintain a slope
for heat transfer. Thus, tilting up on the east or west-facing roof is
necessary if the tubes are to be oriented N-S.

-Kelly
Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems