[RE-wrenches] Inverter AM Interference

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Tue Jul 14 18:48:16 PDT 2009

Ouch! From a brand-new SMA? I thought AM interference was mostly
banished when the Trace SW series was introduced.

My checklist when I consult (and this question is fairly common), these
are in no particular order:

1) Be absolutely sure it's the inverter causing the problem; I've seen
lots of interference from BOS components, especially amp-hour meters.
1.5) Find out if the problem is conducted RFI in your wires, or radiated
RFI picked up by the AM antenna, or both. IE, try a battery-powered AM
radio.
2) Replace your 15-year old modified square wave inverter with a true
sine wave model. (OUCH! It's really a new SMA?)
3) Twist the battery --> inverter main +/- cables together. Tough if you
are in conduit.
4) Consider a filter capacitor across the inverter input.
5) Use an external AM antenna for the radio, and locate it well away
from the house.
6) Double check that the main system ground connection is excellent, and
those of all equipment and boxes.
7) Some inverters are just plain noisy on AM!
8) Some AM radios, especially modern ones, just plain suck on RFI
rejection. They don't make 'em like they used to. Try a better AM radio,
or even an old-school one.

I have a notoriously noisy inverter, but it's been "on" for 15 years now
without a hitch and I like that. For late-night baseball games on AM, I
take a battery-powered radio, and place it in a coal scuttle for
shielding. By placing the coal scuttle in *exactly* the right spot in
the middle of the room, and orienting it in the right direction so that
the RFI blocked, it works great.

AM interference is tricky stuff. Ask your customer if they can get a
simulcast of their favorite AM station on Fm anywhere?

DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/