[RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5 RES

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Fri Jul 10 11:06:59 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Not to add to the confusion, but I just emailed my local dealer and here
is what he had to say about what Dana was told by the factory technician
and about off-grid warranties:

"The 8.5 res units are configurable to 120/240, 120, and 50 or 60 hz. and
that is done in the controller software, the volt reg has always been in
the controller any ways. when you re-configure a unit.........you
physically change how the 4 wires from the windings are tied together to
create what voltage you are able to put out and, to balance the load on a
120 circuit. all you are doing in the software is telling it to look for
120 volts so the regulator could regulate it to that value. The reason you
are reconfiguring anyways is to balance the load on the 120 volt circuit
and wear the brushes evenly. If you could not re-configure these you would
just use it as is and have to replace one of the brushes down the road.

There is no warranty on off grid units from any company I know of.
However, I stand by my systems and file warranties anyways and most often
they are paid, it is how you file the paperwork."

Not sure if he is behind the curve on this issue, but that's his take for
what it's worth...

Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096

On Fri, July 10, 2009 12:09 pm, Dana wrote:
> I just called Kohler for my own curiosity and spoke with the service
tech. that I have dealt with for 15 years.

> He said-
>

> The 8.5 RMY was reconfigurable if it had the ADC21 controller, but doing
so voided the warranty, 3600 RMP air cooled.

> The new 8.5 ,12, & 18 KW RES are not reconfigurable due to the voltage
regulator being built into the generator controller that is a 240 VAC
sensing controller. 3600RPM & air cooled.

> You want a RES model, not a RES L or M1 which have a mechanical governor
that is loose enough to not stay within the HZ window of most inverters.

> Kohler is designing an “Off Grid” model no word on what is coming.
>

> That all for now folks.
>

> Dana Orzel
>

> Great Solar Works, Inc
>
> www.solarwork.com
>
> E - dana at solarwork.com
>
> V - 970.626.5253
>
> F - 970.626.4140
>
> C - 970.209.4076
>
> “I'd put my money on solar energy… I hope we don't have to wait 'til
oil and coal run out before we tackle that.”

> —Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone,
March 1931

> From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
> [mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Yago Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 9:40 AM
> To: RE-wrenches
> Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5 RES
>

> I sure would like to have a final definitive answer on this.  For years
we were installing Kohler 8.5 kW units as they were easy for any
inverter to start and stop with a simple relay, and their output was easy
for the local Kohler dealer to re-configure for 100% output at 120 VAC.
All they ever charged us extra for was the cost to switch-out the breaker
since they we going from a 2-pole 240 VAC smaller amp rated breaker that
came with the unit to a new single pole larger amp rated breaker.

> Now I am reading these posts that Kohler:
>

> A. No longer makes the generator section so you can get 100% output at
120 VAC,

> B. Yes, you ou can make this simple change-over in the field but Kohler
will void the warranty

> C. DOn't worry, everything is the same and you can order the units
either way.

> Some on the list have said their Kohler rep told them one thing, another
says something else.  Doesn't anyone on this list know anyone at Kohler
that really knows what they are talking about and will give us a
straight answer one way or the other.

> Or better yet, lets ask for something really crazy, like a product
manufacturer that actually asks their repeat-order customers what
features they really need and not this take it or leave it attitude.