[RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5 RES

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Jul 8 12:41:40 PDT 2009

Hi, Jay,

My info about the 8.5RES not being reconfigurable came from our Kohler
distributor. When I read your message I called Kohler HQ to find out which
is correct.

The word back:

I got this information from the resi team.  The 8.5RES is configured for
120/240V.  It is not configured for 120V-only and the warranty is voided if
it is converted.  Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

I was also previously told that this is part of a recent change to the unit,
as 120-only operation had been sometimes problematic.

Our distributor had also told me that Kohler engineers were also working on
developing a unit for off-grid use. I have no details, but I called Kohler
in part to try to influence that design process. We'll see if this leads to
any good results - I haven't spoken with a design engineer yet.

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com

NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer

EE98J Journeyman Electrician

Positive Energy, Inc.

3201 Calle Marie

Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507

505 424-1112

www.positiveenergysolar.com

  _____

HI All,

I just checked with my genny guy.

He says that the new 8.5 are configureable for full power 120v and he has
done this.

thought you all should know,

jay, peltz power