[RE-wrenches] Roof Loading request for help

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Wed Jul 8 10:48:27 PDT 2009

I caught this thread a little late, but I have a hard number to be used in
this discussion. We have worked with a umber of AHJs about the dead load of
a PV system, and we routinely quote 2.6 lbs/sq-ft. This based on the actual
module plus hardware weights for an array of four (4) BP Solar SX3200
modules, six (6) ProSolar 4-1/2" Fast Jacks, six (6) Oatey flashing (plus
caulk), six (6) ProSolar mid-clamps (with channel nuts), four(4) ProSolar
end-clamps (with channel nuts). The total weight is 157.8 lbs and the "array
size" used is the full rail length times the long dimension of the module,
62.8 sq-ft. We did not include wire, conduit, pull boxes or anything of the
like, as these components are not typically found "underneath" the PV array.
Tilt racks would weight more. Larger arrays may actually come in at a
slightly lower weight per unit area.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
 <mailto:peter.parrish at calsolareng.com> peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885