[RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5 RES

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Jul 6 09:16:06 PDT 2009

Thanks to all who have helped with this.  The moving target of
generator function makes things a bit more complicated than we would
wish, at times.

Are there any dependable generators in the 8.5 KW range, capable of
reliable auto start, that can run off propane, and can be wired for
full output at 120 VAC, that are still available?

Drake

At 02:12 PM 7/3/2009, you wrote:
>I was surprised to learn that the 8.5 Kohler no longer can be
>re-wired for 100% out at 120 VAC.  This was one of its best features
>but like most product designs today, nobody checks to see what the
>customers want.
>
>Unless this has also recently changed, the units with all the new
>micro-processor crap has a program setpoint that will kill off most
>of the functions that drain down the starter battery when
>off-grid.   As I remember, all the critical alarm functions still
>work, but you can shut down a large part of the new bells and
>whistles they added that just wastes battery charge.    Check the manual.
>
>Jeff Yago
>DTI Solar

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings: