[RE-wrenches] Solar Boost Controller in Senegal

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jun 30 10:01:08 PDT 2009

Walt,

I would also offer that in a hot climate, MPPT in general is only useful in a case where odd cell counts take the Vmp away from 24V nominal specs. That is, MPPT was originally developed to harvest the voltage headroom between Voc and Vmp, which was greatest in cold ambient temperatures. There is little benefit to MPPT in a tropical climate, unless it’s being used (incorrectly in this case) to adapt a particular module with odd cell count.

Walt, I would suggest that you consider pursuing replacing the Sharps with any 12Vnom or 24Vnom module commonly in use there, and then either keep the SB50 because it’s already there, or replace it with the most reliable non-MPPT PWM controller you can bring in or find in country. This maximizes the likelihood that the system can be kept in operation even if the SB50s fail (and experience says that some will in time) and the locals can’t get service or replacement product. It seems to me that the SB50 is an unnecessarily complex component for this application, and a standard PWM replacement controller will match poorly and inefficiently to the Sharps.

FYI, I called Earthwalk and spoke with “Joey” there. I copied him on Rick’s email, and got a read response. So Earthwalk is aware of this situation, although Joey was a computer tech, not one of the “solar experts”. If they have integrity, they’ll contact you and start making arrangements to get this resolved. Perhaps they can wire you the funds to purchase compatible modules locally?

I have copied Joey on this message as well.

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com

NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer

EE98J Journeyman Electrician