[RE-wrenches] 690.47D (revisited)

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Jun 5 13:19:58 PDT 2009

 Thanks Kelly,

I haven't gotten the handbook, but I think I am getting the picture.

How nice of the handbook to let us know that the new GE and GEC that "shall
be installed" according to 690.47D is nothing more than an "optional
supplementary ground electrode".  And furher, if you do choose to take the
option of installing it, in order to have the best lightning protection, you
don't have to bond it to the exisiting GE system. How easy to now disregard
250.106 which says that 'The lightning protection system ground terminals
shall be bonded to the building or structure grounding electrode system".

Considering the inherant problems of 690.47D, I can certainly understand any
AJH trying to avoid this issue of the creation of a whole new class of GE's
who's use falls completely outside the basic definitions of 250  III 250.50,
"All grounding electrodes.....shall be bonded together to form the grounding
electrode system."

MPF

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems