[RE-wrenches] squirrel problems

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri May 15 11:51:30 PDT 2009

Kirk:

Have you ever had squirrels chew through non-metallic liquid tight flex?

Thanks,

William Miller

At 10:19 AM 5/15/2009, you wrote:
>I just had to rewire an array because of squirrel damage. They chewed the
>insulation off of the use-2 on almost every panel within 2 inches of the
>j-box. This was discovered because the inverter GFI kept intermittently
>tripping, so one of the uninsulated positive leads must have shorted to
>the grounded array frame, verified by measurements and arcing.  At least
>the GFI did its job
... We found a massive nest underneath the array. And
>I just got another call from a customer with the same issue, although we
>don’t know yet if damage has happened. Both these arrays are mounted on
>Unirac Solarmount, parallel to and stood off from the roof about 6 inches.
>I’m thinking of skirting the perimeter of the array with a metal mesh of
>some sort. Any other ideas? Thanks. Most likely they will come back if I
>do nothing.
>
>Kirk Herander
>Vermont Solar Engineering
>802.863.1202
>NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar Installer
>NYSERDA-eligible Installer
>VT Solar Incentive Program Partner

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: william at millersolar.com
http://millersolar.com
License No. C-10-773985