[RE-wrenches] Shading animations

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon May 11 23:57:00 PDT 2009

Joel:

My understanding is that you wish to calculate inter-row spacing for
non-south facing arrays.  I modeled an example of this scenario in 3D over
a time period and created a video file.  I converted the aforementioned 97
MB file to a WMV and trimmed the file size just a little (to ~436 KB).  The
file can be found
at:  http://millersolar.com/case_studies/case_studies.html  Click on
Shading Study.

I modeled two identical, two row installations.  One is facing due south,
one is 45 degrees east of south.  The modeling date is winter solstice and
the time period is from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  The location is right here in
sunny San Luis Obispo County.

If you get a chance to view the animation, you will note that the inter-row
shading is not significantly different between the south facing rows and
the non-south facing rows.  One might even decide that the solution for a
south facing installation is an adequate solution for any installation
where all other parameters are equal.  I will verify this mathematically
(in my free time).

Thanks for the question.  I love thinking about these problems.  (Tell the
kids that the math is actually useful.)

William Miller

PS:  The animation was created in Microstation, saved as an AVI and
converted to a WMV file in Pinnacle Studio.  I apologize that the
resolution is not great -- I am still learning the software, even after all
these years.

Wm