[RE-wrenches] To Megger or not to Megger

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:48:59 PDT 2009

Hi Bill,

I so totally agree with your comment about the price of these being a
non-issue, all things considered. As long as we're getting the features we
need in the sub-$750 range, that is. When it comes down to it, this is
meaningful safety and reliability stuff. No slam to the Bolinas crew, but
the SunEye is a lettle less important than that. Unless, of course, you
shade a certain type of module and the bypass diode fails and the thing
ignites.... Then you could make a case for the SunEye being prudent for
Disqualification of location, which would mean there wouldn't be a need for
the megger on that non-job.

Perhaps you could address a couple of aspects that I have questioned for a
long time.

First of all, is it or is it not true that megger testing an array at 1kV
may result in flaky-bias diodes (my term) if polarity of test leads is
incorrect relative the array and/or the array wiring is grounded/not
grounded during the test? (The root of my policy to NOT megger arrays unless
I have specific procedure provided by the mfr... Me no wanna get in a "you
meggered it so you don't have a warranty" conversation if ya know of what I
speak.)

Which of the mainstream module manufacturers are publishing a procedure for
megger testing their arrays for use by installers?

Are these being published for wet or dry testing? Both?

Which of these manufacturers are supplying this documentation in a publicly
accessible manner? (Asked quite a few sales reps over the years and only 1
ever produced a document... I have been able to get some from engineers in
the factory, but this was generally when I had a big stick to pound on
somebody's desk.)

Why don't most installers and distributors know this documentation exists or
understand the procedure at this point?

Yeah, it's one of those thorny issues with me. Maybe we can get our heads
together to steamroll a solution to the above. Happy to take the subject up
off-list if you like.

On to today's question regarding resolution....

When you are measuring an array, why is the resolution so critical?
What value or value range do you believe constitutes a Pass on a quality Csi
product?
How about Asi / CdTe with crappy glass?
How about Asi with Tefcel?
Wet? Dry?
Does your answer change relative the capacity of the array portion under
test?
Does the answer change with temperature &/or relative humidity?
Does the answer change relative test voltage compared to array VOC?

What I'm getting at is, unless the minimum "Pass" value is a very low number
for the test setup, say 200K - 2M, or has a very narrow "Pass" range, a
super-fine resolution shouldn't be that critical. On the few occasions back
in the day when I actually meggered arrays, I used an analog megger. Top end
range @ 1kV was 250M. My recollection is that these things pulled 15M or
better, but I can't really testify to that... Fuzzy memory on the actual
values. I'd have to dig through some deep stacks of paperwork to find out if
I have any archives of the tests, and I'm not gonna do that for this post.
Had to submit the test results to SMUD (can't find them) and the mfrs.
Nobody ever said, "Hey. Close your other eye and tell me what it says." When
I asked what values would be appropriate, all I ever got was, "Just like you
got here. These are good." Never could nail them down and, frankly, never
got the idea that they were all-to-happy having installers owning meggers.

I'm with you on testing the array and module interconnects for leakage.
Really. But, if the arrays rings out as "faulted" when it's really "OK", why
bother? What are you looking for? If the resistance is that low, maybe we
should be using a "Kohmer" for the arrays and a Megger for the wiring &
equpment bussing. If you're getting such a low resistance, aren't you
picking it up with a "Static" test... Would the Earth Bond Resistance
function of the 1507 & 1503 be sufficient for these situations?
http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/specifications.htm?cs_id=35391(FlukeProduc
ts)
<http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/specifications.htm?cs_id=35391(FlukeProdu
cts)&category=HMA(FlukeProducts> &category=HMA(FlukeProducts)  This is
basically a voltage shot like a megger, but measures resistance in the <20k
range. Resolution very nice there! This tester has a gap between 20k & 100k
(0.1M).

>From a "reasonable resolution" perspective, I think the gap is more like 20k
to 2M. Anything over 2M, the 0.1M resolution should be fine. If the array is
that close to failing, fail it and tell the mfr to start making some decent
glass. They might understand it better this way:  您吸

Dunno. I think it comes down to figuring out what ranges equal "Pass" for
the application and going from there. Will look forward to what you find in
your side-by-sides later this week. Please do post back. With a basic
description of the glass-type, mounting, wire-management, test results and
findings, if you can.

I'm gonna hang onto my 1520... If anybody wants to see what one looks like
with a 100% Battery Level, let me know... I'll hold it up in front of my
webcam for ya!

No Ground Faults!

Matt Lafferty

  _____