[RE-wrenches] Heat dump or Stagnate?

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Apr 24 11:46:58 PDT 2009

Hi Troy -

We've installed a good deal of Schuco systems with Slim V collectors which
are supposed to utilize steam back. Being a mechanical engineer, I still
have my doubts about the steam back principle but I don't have any real
world data proving it does or doesn't work. I can't say anything bad about
it, however.

Our installed systems are all relatively new so it is hard to say how
they'll hold up in the long term. Our first Schuco systems were installed in
2006. We routinely check the glycol ph and haven't found it going acidic yet
although I've noticed the color (Schuco's glycol is pink) is turning a bit
brown. We've also revamped a large system where we disassembled the copper
piping and found quite a bit of dark pink sediment in the rooftop pipes.

The bottom line is that the more times the system overheats the faster the
glycol inhibitor is going to degrade in any system. Since all these systems
are so new it is hard to say how long this will take. The danger I see is
that it is easy to forget older systems and before you know it they start
failing.

On another note, Heliodyne is also packaging closed loop glycol systems and
they aren't touting the steam back principle. Their system operates at
higher pressures and use Dowfrost HD. Dow's website indicates that HD is
good up to 325 deg F which is cooking - I doubt flat plate collector
stagnation temps will reach that high at least in our area. See spec sheet
here:

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_0040/0901b80380040bd2.pdf?filepath
=heattrans/pdfs/noreg/180-01315.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

I guess I better get back to work... Anyone else have experience with
degrading systems?

Best,

August

August Goers