[RE-wrenches] Long MC Cable Mid String

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Apr 22 22:07:47 PDT 2009

Friends:

We are missing some information.  We know the mid-string distance, but what
is the distance from the positive and negative ends of the strings to the
inverter?  This is all part of the entire string circuit and must be analyzed.

We have spent a lot of time researching voltage drop.  One of the most
interesting discoveries we made is when we considered the duration of peak
amperage conditions.  If one designs a PV circuit for a target voltage drop
at brochure Imp, one must consider how often this value actually
occurs.  We submit it is infrequent and of short duration.  We took the
hour-by-hour results available from PV watts for an entire year and
averaged all non-zero (daylight) values.  The result was close to
50%.  This means that if you design a system for 1% voltage drop at Imp
(which is our standard), the average Vdrop is actually 0.5%.  Knowing this,
we sometimes allow one size smaller wire when distance, cost, conduit fill
or other factors indicate this might make a design more pragmatic.

For a free voltage drop calculator, look on our web site (millersolar.com)
in the Resources area.  We think it is superior to most others because:  it
allows one to use any voltage, not just standard AC circuit voltages as on
the SMA calculator,  it allows one to view a range of wire sizes in one
glance and it now compensates for temperature and conduit fill.  Making
this resource available is one way in which we are trying to give back to
the industry..

William Miller